Pages

Thursday 21 August 2014

Skin toning, Bleaching, Skin lightening...What's the difference?

   So I was wondering, what is the difference between bleaching and skin toning?


 This is because I don't get the difference. I ask this in respect to our African women, and some men-home and abroad alike. I understand the fact that in Africa, our weather is quite hot and the sun can increase the building of melanin on our skin which increases our tendency to be darker than our western counterparts. I also understand the need to look beautiful and acceptable. However, I can't stop to wonder, do I have to look like you or change myself to be beautiful?

As a woman, its important to take care of your skin (blemish free), smell great, have your makeup on, dress great, adorn yourself with the best hairstyle, etc but not in a manner that dehumanizes you. Some people bleach/tone to the point that people who knew them before can hardly recognize them.

Let's assume that at some point in your life, things were rough and you couldn't afford an exorbitant lifestyle, but then, things turned around and you made it...in my opinion....I don't believe that your new status will change you dramatically from being chocolate in complexion to being very fair or from being Afro-American to becoming white.

Some call it modernisation, some say its trendy, some think its a necessity, but I say, as much as you try to look good, be content with such things as ye have!

Changing your colour, the makeup we adorn ourselves with, etc they don't buy love, they don't give peace of mind, instead most times, you run into debts in cash and in kind or you run into health risks.

Skin cancer and other diseases can arise from all these things that we apply on our skin. Most people who produce these products won't say or tell the risks of using them, while the marketers most times aren't aware of the contents of these products and the health risks their customers run into by using these products.

Nothing is wrong with being light skinned, but if you don't have it, don't bleach.

Hence, I propose we embrace who we are and find ways to be better without endangering our lives, trying to be someone else or propagating a wrong image of the Black Race.

Below are some black role models.





No comments:

Post a Comment